Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Surround Yourself

Student teaching has already proven to be the hardest semester for me as college comes to a close.  It has taught me to grow up, it has taught me to be positive in all that I do, but more importantly its taught me to surround myself with people that matter.  If it wasn't for the three kinds of people that have been in my life in just this one semester, I wouldn't be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel like I proclaimed to earlier this week.  So this one is for you guys.

The first people are my family.  I feared moving back home.  I feared being underneath the parentals and to be honest I dreaded the very thought of it.  In all honesty,  if I had not moved back home for student teaching, I would not be doing as well as I am.  My Dad has been there to keep me on track and encouraged when I needed it the most, and he has been there to take my mind off of things when we play basketball outside like in the old days.  My mom has made my life so easy, and I could not even begin to express my thankfulness to her.  She has taken care of laundry and had dinner ready every night when I walk in.  She has been wonderful to me.  My sister... well let's just say she is carrying on my legacy at Southern Miss and making me very proud.  Without family, we would be nothing. Surround yourself.

The second group I want to speak about are my colleagues.  Every single one of you: Chelsea, Casey, Krystal, Jeremy, Tori, Gertz, Sarah, Miran, and Kelsey.  You all have been truly wonderful to work with, and I can not thank you guys enough for helping me out the entire semester.  This is the last little bit before we are changing lives and getting paid for it.  I am so proud of everyone, as I have seen them grow, along with myself, into professional educators.  We have arrived, and this is our time.  This is our time to take the world by storm, and we shall do so accordingly.  We are products of a program that exudes excellence in every way.  We are products of a program that is a cut above.  We are products of our own hard work.  If you find yourself weary in these last weeks, call me, I'll be your motivator.  Each one of these students teachers has encouraged me to be a better person. Surround yourself.

The third group of people consists of a few individuals who have been my encouragement.  Kevin, David, my coworkers.  Without the phone calls, the support, the random jokes and flashbacks, life would not be as great.  You keep me going and more importantly keep me smiling.  My positive attitude is a result of your encouragement and support.  I just hope that one day I can return the favor.  And by the way, Kevin, I was serious about the shotgun after graduation.  These people are those that have chosen to be in my life, and that is something that should never be taken for granted. Surround yourself.

The last group is a little different.  It is a person or persons that have made a larger impact in my life than I ever realized.  People that were once in my life but no longer choose to be.  People who I have tried to forget but can't.  People who told me I needed to grow up when I did not want to listen.  In some instances I am most thankful for this person.  I am thankful because I now realize you were preparing me for the real world.  You were preparing me for what was just over the hill, while I was too immature to have any foresight.  This person affected  me and will continue to so. Thank you. Surround yourself.

These people make up the biggest influences of my life that helped me through the hardest semester of school.  There is no doubt that without them, I would have failed.  This is to let you know that I appreciate you.  This is also to bring others to the question, "Who do I surround myself with?" Negative people? Positive influences? Friends? Lovers? Robot dance partners? Dogs?  Whatever you surround yourself with, make sure it is something you don't take for granted.  Often the people that surround us are the foundation of who we are.  SURROUND YOURSELF.



No comments:

Post a Comment